As a Dallas divorce and child custody attorney at The Blacknall Firm, I often receive questions about how to handle a child custody order that no longer works. It’s important to remember that simply not following the order is the wrong way to handle the situation. If you don’t follow the order, you may be held in contempt or the other party may file an enforcement that could potentially land you in jail.

So what should you do if the child custody order is no longer working? The proper course of action is to go to court and ask for a modification of the order. However, in order to successfully get the order modified, you must be able to show that there has been a material change in circumstances for either the child or one of the parents, and that the current order is no longer in the child’s best interest.

If you’re facing a situation where your child custody order is no longer working, it’s important to seek legal guidance. At The Blacknall Firm, we offer a free call to discuss your specific situation. Don’t hesitate to reach out to us if you have any questions.