Yes, it is possible to modify a custody or child support order in Collin County if there has been a substantial change in circumstances since the original order was issued. Examples of a substantial change in circumstances include a change in income, a change in the child’s needs, or a change in the custodial parent’s living arrangements.

Yes, the court can consider fault in property division in a Collin County divorce.

Texas is a community property state, which means that all property acquired during the marriage is presumed to be owned equally by both spouses, regardless of who earned the income or whose name is on the title. However, the court has discretion to divide the community property in a way that is “just and right” based on a number of factors, including fault in the breakup of the marriage.

Under Texas law, fault can include adultery, cruel treatment, abandonment, and other forms of marital misconduct. If one spouse can prove that the other spouse was at fault for the breakdown of the marriage, the court may award a greater share of the community property to the innocent spouse. However, fault is just one of several factors that the court will consider when making a property division decision. The court will also look at the length of the marriage, the earning capacity of each spouse, the health of each spouse, and other relevant factors.

To obtain a protective order in Collin County, you must file a petition with the district clerk’s office. The petition will include details of the abuse or harassment that you have experienced, and you may be required to provide evidence to support your claims. If the court grants the protective order, it will prohibit the abuser from contacting you and may require them to stay away from your home, workplace, and other places that you frequent. Violating a protective order can result in criminal charges. There are resources available to assist you in obtaining a protective order, such as legal aid organizations and domestic violence shelters.

A prenuptial agreement in Collin County is a legal contract that is signed by both parties before marriage. The agreement can address issues such as property division and spousal support in the event of a divorce. To be enforceable, the agreement must be in writing and signed by both parties.  It is recommended that both parties hire separate lawyers to avoid allegations of duress or overreaching at a later date.

Texas law defines domestic violence as any act that is intended to cause physical harm, injury, or sexual assault to a family member or household member. Victims of domestic violence in Collin County can seek assistance from local shelters, counseling services, and legal aid organizations.

In Collin County, child custody is determined based on the best interests of the child. The court will consider a variety of factors, including the child’s relationship with each parent, the child’s preferences (if the child is of sufficient age), and each parent’s ability to provide for the child’s physical, emotional, and educational needs.

In Collin County, property is divided in a divorce according to the principle of just and right division. This means that the court will divide the property in a way that is fair but not necessarily equal. The court will consider a variety of factors, such as the length of the marriage, each spouse’s earning capacity, and each spouse’s contribution to the marriage.

There are 2 methods of calculating child support that are generally used. First, is guideline child support. Guideline child support is a percentage of the obligor’s income based on the number of children before the court and the number of children not before the court, but that the obligor is responsible for supporting financially. Second, non-guideline support is when  the court  considers the income of each parent, the number of children, and the amount of time the child spends with each parent.  It is important to note that which method is used is at the Judge’s discretion.   Therefore, it is important to present evidence to the court regarding why the method you want used is in the best interest of the child.

The Texas Attorney General has a calculator on it’s website to assist you with guideline child support. You can check it out here:

Technically Texas does not have a process called legal separation. However, once a divorce has been filed temporary orders can be put in place that are similar to what is referred to as legal separation in other states.

The process for adopting a child in Collin County typically involves an application to the court, a home study, and a background check. The court will also require the consent of the child’s birth parents or the termination of their parental rights.

The process for getting a divorce in Collin County begins with filing a petition with the district clerk’s office. After that, the other spouse must be served with the petition and has the opportunity to respond. If the parties can agree on the terms of the divorce, they can submit a settlement agreement to the court. If not, the case will go to trial and a judge will decide on the terms of the divorce.