What Happens if a Parent Does Not Follow a Court Order in Texas?

As a Collin County family lawyer, I frequently work with parents who are struggling to navigate difficult co-parenting situations. One common issue that arises is when one parent is violating a court order, such as failing to pay child support or refusing to adhere to a visitation schedule. If you are in this situation, it’s important to know that there are steps you can take to enforce the court order and protect your rights as a parent.

Document the violations

The first step in dealing with a noncompliant co-parent is to document any instances of the other parent’s noncompliance with the court order. This includes keeping track of missed child support payments, denied visitation, or any other violations. You should keep detailed records of these instances, including the date, time, and any relevant communication or documentation.

File a motion for enforcement with the court

Once you have documented the violations, the next step is to file a motion for enforcement with the court. This is a legal document that asks the court to enforce the original court order and hold the other parent accountable for their noncompliance. The court may schedule a hearing to review the motion and hear evidence from both parties.

Present evidence during the hearing

During the hearing, it’s important to present your evidence clearly and concisely. You should be prepared to demonstrate how the other parent’s noncompliance has affected your relationship with your child and provide any additional evidence, such as emails or text messages, to support your case.

Possible remedies

If the court finds that the other parent has violated the court order, there are a number of remedies available. The court may order the other parent to pay any missed child support or allow for make-up visitation time. In some cases, the court may even hold the other parent in contempt, which could result in fines or even jail time.

Get help from a qualified family law attorney

Dealing with a noncompliant co-parent can be challenging, but it’s important to take action to protect your rights and your child’s best interests. If you are struggling with a co-parenting issue, don’t hesitate to reach out to a qualified family law attorney for guidance and support.


Overall, it’s important to remember that the court order is in place for a reason – to ensure that both parents are able to maintain a meaningful relationship with their child. If the other parent is violating the court order, it’s important to take action to enforce your rights and protect your child’s well-being. By documenting violations, filing a motion for enforcement, and presenting your case clearly during a hearing, you can work towards a resolution and ensure that your child’s best interests are protected.